Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Grow up? Nah...


Why is it that when we were younger being an adult looked like so much fun? Why would we as young children spend hours on end fantasizing about becoming independant, sophosticated and grown up women? The thought of living on your own without any one telling you what to do seemed like so much fun. My best friend and I would spend hours together engrosed in playing mummy's & daddy's. We would get dressed up in mums work clothes, strap our dolls into push chairs and be on our way down the street with our handbags slung over our shoulders stuffed with make up lollies and some nifty sunnies.


Ten years or so later, and I'm faced with the challenge of actually becoming a sophisticated, idependant and grown up woman and to be honest, it was much more fun when we were just pretending. No one ever told you when you were little that pretty much as soon as you turn 18, your expected to fend for yourself. As soon as schools over, you are responsible for your entire life without a hell of a lot of preperation. Everything you do, from what you eat and you trust is your decision, and if you make a wrong one, theres no one there's usually no one there to help you out or no one to take the fall if you get yourself into a spot of trouble. This is the bit that freeks me out. What if I dont want to be an adult yet!? I was quite happy goin to school, working in the weekend's at a simple and low stress job, and partying with my friends every Saturday night. Is it so much to ask for things to stay as they were?

Teenage years have to be the best of your life. You are not yet an adult so no one expects you to act like one, yet you are also not treated like a little kid anymore. Your allowed to go out to parties, watch naughty movies on the telly, have boyfriends and hang with your friends every weekend yet take full credit for your school grades and come home to a cooked meal everyday. Apart from the acne, the social awkwardness and exam stress, teenagers these days have it pretty sweet. Do you blame me for not wanting to grow up?


However I also understand that if things did stay as they were I would not be the person I am today. The challenges I have faced and the mistakes I have made are the things which are slowly turning me in to that mature, sophistacted and grown up woman, the one I used to dream of being. Growing up really isn't so bad when you can take full credit for things you have achieved in your life, balance your responsabilities and still party til 5am. So when your ready, grow up, make mistakes and most importantly, live it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment